The top 5 hiking boots of 2018
Are you readying yourself for your next great hike and trail adventure? You’ve probably already packed your bags with all of the essentials, from your tent to sunscreen, and of course, the food that you will be eating. But don’t’ forget the most important gear you need: your hiking boots.
Hiking boots are important to make sure that you are comfortable during the time you are hiking. And if you are not hiking for pleasure, but a competition or trying to break a record, your performance on the trail can be greatly affected by your choice of footwear.
Since there are so many variants on the market, here’s a list of the best hiking boots for 2018. You’ll find the boots described in more detail as well as some issues that you might face.
1. Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX – if you’re looking for something that would give you comfort for a serious day of hiking, this is the boot for you. His midweight boot retails at $230 dollars and boasts of a light and nimble feel. Expect to have stability while going on the trail and the Contagrip outsoles make for good traction. There is one weakness that has been pointed out though. It seems that if you are the type to bring heavy backpacks, there is a possibility of experiencing foot fatigue when you are done hiking for the day.
2. Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof – at only $130 dollars, this footwear is perfect for those who have a tighter budget. For this price, you get a comfortable footwear that feels light. It is even waterproof and has a Vibram outsole. But what are you losing because of the reduced price? It seems that you should only use these boots if you are traveling through trails that have been maintained well. It is not suitable for rough terrain.
3. Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX – this is only a little more expensive than the above-listed boot, so if you have a little extra money, you can buy this instead. This is lightweight but sturdy enough that you can even use it for trail running. A downside to this model is that it does not have much underfoot protection is compared to the Quest 4D.
4. Scarpa R-Evolution GTX – at $239, this is the most expensive of the bunch. And while it does deliver in terms of comfort and performance, there is one weakness that experts found. Apparently, this model has flimsy laces. But the good thing is that you can remedy that by just buying different ones.
5. Hoka One One Tor Ultra Hi Waterproof – this footwear is also a top pick for those who want a hiking boot that is lightweight and can perform well when traveling long-distance. It costs as much as the Quest 4D. It is very comfortable that some users even said that there is no need to break in the boots! You also won’t feel any foot fatigue even when you carry heavy loads while hiking.